Sugarplums on my second Xmas alone

Sugarplums on the Second Christmas Alone

­

My icy hand waves as they go
Back to the mausoleum in the cold
I’ve cleaned the tiles to the stone
Vacuumed carpets free of dust
Scrubbed slick the perfumed rooms
The dirt that stays is in my blood
With a leaden echo as it pumps

My family’s gone to celebrate
By way of gifts and scents and food
I am the father who chose to stay
While children and the wife went on
Ignore accept deny the shame
Songs doped up in me are mute
Not a sadder Christmas in a book

My home is three-times full of bones
Their whispers rising thin and cold
A Christmas tree stands stark in folds
Without a little hand to touch its limbs
Loneliness is a four bedroom house
With surplus loft like sayings such as
Happy holidays to me in this abode

This is my second Holy Night alone
Once before in dark San Cristobal
A plot with trash and weeds and moans
Some fireworks and weak array of sky
But sound asleep until the wisps of light
Tonight ajar with visions of sugarplums
A star and kings dancing in my head

No comments:

Post a Comment