An eleventh commandment for poets. Take no offense; just follow the law, or burn in the flames of hell.














Though Shalt Not Spill Thy Seed of Debauched Poems


Do not spill your seed ‘til red
My ears are bleeding in my bed
The foliage of your poems need time
Understand, dear poet--your work is fine
It’s not your thoughts or what is said
I just do not like every line

You steal my time with your bad rhyme
Force tubes of stroppy turns down my throat
Rub sand of ill-wrought stanza in my eyes
Rob expansive meaning with cliche
From your unripe poem, give me liberty
Or give me silence.  Know when to give birth

Let your poem release from the body
In its time. Perhaps at ten fifty-two
In the morning, when October’s maple
Draws down the saps to the cooling earth
And a wobbly sun both bursts and seeps
To coax a letting go, a swooping fall

No comments:

Post a Comment