Neighborhood awhirr when ambulance visits

Dick and Marg


Do not cry.  It was five years ago
We didn’t think he’d last this long
Dick, the neighbor. The white, fifties house with an eagle above the door
The unmowed grass

Kids want to go look
I tell them thirty seconds. I repeat
Sit at the window, peering, at an extreme angle
Through a foot of warbled glass

They want more, ask to go up to the porch roof
Hidden by a pine, the porch roof
On a soundless evening when the birds are down
I am tempted myself

A long while passes. I wonder
What will they see of him?
Does one keep them in? Will they dream
Of lights flashing red?

Too late to bring a plate of cookies
What will become of the landscaping
The paint job, the eagle? Does he conjure Marg
Carrying her through the door, or when she was wheeled out?

Then stomping, scurrying down with news
Of seeing his foot move. His foot
I ask if they saw his face
They saw Dick’s face!

They saw Dick’s face
Ben says his heart is beating super fast
I stroke his neck, remember his birth, smelling him for the first time
Beating super fast

No comments:

Post a Comment