The problem is...

Related image
The Worm


The problem is, it’s unbearably hot in here
My living room; that’s why I’ve painted waves
In a study of blues channeling Hokusai and Rothko
With the textures of Rodin. I am proud of these walls
Yet their waters are dripping, molding, peeling

A dog-catcher has laid his net against one wall
It’s made of chocolate and is covered with bees
And he is quietly masterbating in uniform
While puppies moan and doddle in various stages of hunger
Eating worms that rise up, enchanted, from the wood floor

I make banners to protest in large Chinese characters
Yet I cannot write Chinese, but fake it in long swooshes
March around the room ‘til there are ruts in the floor
And I question if saving the puppies is worth the mush
Of worms and sawdust and the stench of dog poos

And then, it hits me: I am a worm. Damn it all
The problem is, it’s not a dream; that’s my life
What value, mindfulness, when bees, puppies and worms?
When I am stuck in the rut of my living room
There is no other living room to traipse in circles

No comments:

Post a Comment