He had been my friend. He died.

I Did Not Go In
   For Ched Neuhaus


I did not go in to see you, Ched
There in your white room
I was told your head had swelled
And color had engulfed you
They exit in tears, seeing you
Hooked up like you had never been
Ched, in your white room

In the paper I learned you left
Before sunrise, without your helmet
I saw your skid mark, and the pole
There is a rumor of foul play
In the ward.  Some debt you had over
Drugs.  So much has changed
Since we were boys

Forgive me for not joining you
I wanted to recall our past
When our lungs filled and fainted
With laughter in the cul de sac
Biking to Jerry’s Liquor for candy
Aba-Zabba contests, watching the fish
As boys do

Remember our slumber parties, Ched?
The living room wrestling matches
With Hoheimer, Burleson, Domke, me, you?
Halloweens—the hiding, running?
And how about the Sandy’s window?
Or the time we fought and the next day
We were friends?

I visited your grave, Ched, and cleared away
Crab grass crawling across your name
It had been ten years since that morning
Yet the sun burned warm above the mountain
And over your plot; we would have laughed
Together like we could not
When you were in your white room

No comments:

Post a Comment