Parable of the Cypress Cone, Figs, Gravel

Parable of the Cypress Cone, the Figs and the Gravel


The gravel allows no footprints on the ridge road of mountain
Above a widespread ocean amongst manzanita, sage, cypress
Where limbs lift along its slope where road ends, gravel to dirt
Distant bird in silhouette onto night soars affluent circles

   
   Sitting a long time, into sunset cold, finished with my long walk
Where the gravel, where the bird, where limbs, slope, ridge
Ground littered with cypress cones—closed until fire comes
Cone to my upper lip, me and your breath of God

Ignore me, Father, bury your ears in disputed deserts
Deny me your oceanic eyes, that once washed me
Make me to walk the hot coals of your teeth, drown me
In the subterfuge of your tongue, lodge me

In the minx anger of your furrowed brow, strangle me
Of breath by your bold memory, crashing your curling
Blame as waves against the balustrade of my calm
Suck the blood from my heart by the vacuum of yours

You have cursed away my figs.  I have screamed down the rest
Through the years, for the maggots, under a drunken sun
Once heavy with figs, my branch:  Waiting on the ground
Full of plump, giving fruit.  Now, on the other side of storm

My branch:  Sapless sticks, clean of fruit, asking the sky
Wishing to sleep again on the slope under a blanket of cypress
Where squeezing a resolute cone while bird aloft, you and I
Where the walk ends, cold and ocean close, and gravel is silent

No comments:

Post a Comment