Ever find something that frightens you?


126 best images about Maori art on Pinterest
Finding Something in the Middle of an Intersection


I put it in reverse
Leave the engine running
Door open to the street

I thought it had a face
Was carved in wood
And sure enough

Hand wrought
Its face is charred
Black as a secret

Dropped by mistake?
From a bad accident?
Tossed for a reason?

From Tahiti, Bora Bora
Tourist trinket or folk art
I wonder, gripping it

Like a lucky find
What we get when
We have lived well

But I wonder
If that is true
What the thing means

Hands full of charge
And charcoal  
Face full of apparition

Why in the intersection
Of my crossing
Staring up at me?

Compelled to bury it
At some distance
And just forget

Throw it down
A pit at some depth
None too deep

But I hold onto it
Once in a while grasp
It in the bath

Keep the spirits tilting
Torrid and piquant
To wonder, to incant 

No comments:

Post a Comment