I live in Wisconsin surrounded by water





On Lake Superior, At Munising


The furnaces:  Their heat-wrought
Raw chunks of iron muddle at shore
With stones and shards of charcoal
Where they were shed, cast and left
Glowing red when the fires cooled

Cheap, scuffed labor, barracks, faces
Alit for the furnaces.  They cut,
Dug, hauled, fucked, shipped, fed
The fire.  That was the most vital:

                        Fire

The hillsides shoveled out
Waters churning orange, forests
Carted off, the industry burned
Dirt into profits, purifying dirt

So I thought I would burn, burn
Away debris, burn up anger, fury
Set fire to temper, singe depression
Indifference, become a furnace

Build walls of boulders wrapped in steel
Pour into the top the ore, the fuel
With an opening at the bottom
For the molten derelict of me to trickle out.

                          To my surprise,

After I constructed such a thing
And fired up the burn, hot as hell
My chest of lungs and breath
Glowed red and white and hollow

Curling backbone hissed and gave
Reduced to ashes, and the hole below
Gushed with flame, igniting the grounds
Those milling about my life, ablaze

Burned beyond recognition.  Chunks
Of iron, to be forgotten, fondled
By a century’s waves.  How
Can I justify the work, the structure
When just char remains of me
And even boulders pop to dust?

No comments:

Post a Comment