Wanted each frame to sound like Haiku, for fragmented meaning to sound like an old man, for mystery to arise in the commonplace.





 For Each Other, Tea


Say the Chinese:
What is told becomes known
At the expense of other stories
That remain silent

So it is with Mary:
Wife of many years
Nary a poem of peace
But many of grand ire

Let it be known:
She makes me tea
I make her tea
She makes me tea

She prepares fire:
I rub her feet
She launders my clothes
I paint her portrait

While mountains quiver:
Her gaze alert as puma
Reflected clearly, I am
In her eyes, tranquil

Like those of Byzantium:
Their words, more alive than they
From our dusty chests,
So many journals of pain

If you get there
before me, she says
But her words blow
Away.  I am there

Please understand, reader:
She makes tea for me
I make tea for her
For each other, tea

No comments:

Post a Comment